Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Recital

People who know me know my penchant for red lips and fake eyelashes.  What they don't realize is that I have no other choice.  I have no say in the matter.  It is as much a part of me as my coffee addiction.  See, this particular addiction is well rooted in my personal history.  For years I took dance.  Lived danced.  Breathed dance.  I even toured with US & Canada with a dance troupe when I was 17, where the rule of daily life was full stage makeup (my gateway to the red lipstick drug--Revlon Really Red) and hair pulled up in a French braid.  Of course, it was no question that the Sound & the Fury would take dance.

The three of us have been enrolled in dance at Magic Feet Dance Company for two years (after switching from another local studio--MFDC excels in tap & I love tap).  Last year I was in the adult clogging class, which was fun but not as challenging as I wanted, so I decided to switch over to the advanced jazz & tap classes.  The only problem?  The advanced classes are teenage classes.  I am a teenager--twice over.  I am old enough to be their mother older sister.  As much as I enjoy the classes (and by enjoy, I mean feel like I'm going to have a major cardiac infarction), I was very hesitant to be in the recital.

At any rate, the costumes were purchased and I reluctantly went.  I almost reconsidered when I saw how many people I knew from the audience.  After all, it's one thing to make a fool of myself in front of the handful of teeny boppers, but to make a fool of myself in front of my peers?  Sober, at that! YIKES!

The Sound & Fury got all dolled up too.

The seeds for her red lipstick addiction have been planted.

Lulu is such my kid--although she opted out of the red lips, she took a book to read between dancing.
She didn't want to have her pic taken, so she threw the book up.  Silly girl--still going on the blog.

I went back in time 18 years--I was in the youngsters changing room, instead of the old lady changing room from last year.  I liked being with the girls, because I got to snap some behind the scenes pics and be sure they kept all their junk accouterments together.  
Too bad that the word "child" was cut off in front of "name".  
I got through it.  My babysitter even said she didn't notice me in the first dance because I blended in with the teenagers.  Yes, she wears glasses, but I'll take it!



I did manage to sneak one pic in.
Now I just have to hope that none of my dancing ends up on youtube.  Please, Santa can you see to that?  I've been a relatively good girl this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment