Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Lulu's 11th bday

As hard as it is to believe, my Lulu turned 11 yesterday.  In my mind, I'm still the carefree, young, hip 16 year old and I'm having a hard time reconciling that I am indeed the mother of a preteen.  Given that fact that she is almost wearing the same size shoe as I am, I have to wake up and smell the coffee.  My kid is growing up.

This year was an odd birthday arrangement.  J had to go out of town on business, so we had to stretch the festivities out over the course of a few days.  Although Lulu missed her dad, she was quite content with the prospect of having more birthdays, more cake and more presents. When she's my age she'll want less birthdays so we are letting her have her fun while it lasts.

Before J left, we took her to her favorite place, Fuji Japanese Steakhouse.  We tried to get the waitress to do something for the celebration, but apparently the waitress thought we were trying to scam a free dessert so she ignored us.  We went over to my inlaws for cake and presents afterwards.

The big day of her bday was a full out assault of epic proportions.  The frogs were hopping with anticipation.
See what I did there--frogs?  Hopping?  I amuse myself

I went to her school, armed myself with celebratory Krispy Kremes and ate lunch (actually I sat there while she ate.  I survived school food the first time--not willing to chance it again).

Krispy Kreme.  Finally something tasty in the cafeteria.

I ran off to the mall to get her cookie cake (yeah, my kid doesn't like traditional cake on her birthday) and ran back to get her.  My mom and grandmother came up for the festivities.  Since J was out of town, we decided to make it the girliest of girlie celebrations.  We went to Ulta, the bastion of all things girlie.  I gave her a basket and turned her loose.  Thank heavens they didn't have big rolling shopping carts like the grocery store, or else I'd have to take out a second mortgage.  I had also just made a large Sephora purchase for myself the day before, so I wasn't tempted to add on to her basket.  Well, I was, but I knew it's not my bday (Geez, ok.  So I admit.  I did make a run to MAC across the street, but just for one tube of lipstick.)

How did a kid who loves pink be born to a woman who loves red??

We went for dinner at our favorite pizza place--Sticks and Stones.  We could sit wherever we wanted (we were there at senior citizens early bird hour) and just happened to pick a table with napkins decorated with "Emma".  It was meant to be.


Back at the house, she opened her loot and cut into her cookie cake.



A special thanks to Coach K for her most memorable gift--his 903rd win, giving him the winningest record in collegiate basketball history.  Thanks for that!  Much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment