Sunday, April 1, 2012

Not a Strike to Spare

We asked Pey what she'd like to do for her birthday and she answered with the typical seven year old girl reply--getting mani/pedi's, going shopping and roller skating.  Ha!  As if!  Nope.  Peytie wanted to get in touch with her inner ....... (that's the sound of me drawing a complete blank, as I know no bowling terms and no famous bowlers to reference).  Yes.  My sweet little princess wanted to say happy birthday to herself by donning funny looking shoes, hanging out in a funny smelling place and risking broken toes if she dropped a 6 pound heavy round thing on her foot.

The bowling alley had made it even harder to say no.  They had given out coupons for el cheapo bowling lane rental & funny shoe rental.  It was too late to back out with an excuse once Pey saw that coupon.  When the rest of the world was out enjoying the warm spring day, we hid out from the natural sunlight and went a bowlin'.

I learned two things from this foray:  1)  the person who invented bumpers was a genius  2)  there is a reason cheap beer is associated with bowling--enough of it and you don't care about how poorly you bowl--too bad I had none.

J was still on the injured reserve list, so he sat at the score keeper spot and took pics.  I didn't get a reprieve and was forced to embarrass myself out there (but I repeat--thank heavens for  bumpers!!)

We bowled two games.  Lulu took the first one and I took the second one.  As you can see it was a barn burner.  Yes, my skillz rival those of my children.

I only wonder what she'll want to do for her 8th birthday--dirt bike racing?  Monster trucks?

1 comment:

  1. Great post and great stories. And it made me think...I cannot remember the last time I went bowling when it wasn't 2 AM! And a suggestion for birthday #8- Laser Tag!!! Happy Comment Day!

    ReplyDelete